expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, 24 January 2015

My Zentangled Guitar

You've probably guessed that drawing is the great love of my life, but did you know that music is the other? I've been playing the guitar since I was 14 and when I'm not letting off some creative steam by drawing, I'm playing the guitar. I wouldn't say I'm a great guitarist, but I'm ok, I can belt out a tune and play with others quite confidently, but I'm definately no John Butler.  Never heard of John Butler I hear you say? Check out this video of him playing his signature song "Ocean", it's intense, incredible, breathtaking and exhilirating all at once, I hope you enjoy it.






My guitar has been begging me to draw on it. Every now and then I hear it call, "Chrissie, zentangle me!" I've been thinking about it for quite a while, but I always seemed to have a reason why I couldn't do it.

1. You can't do a pencil sketch first to work out where things are going to go.

Sure, you can trace the guitar on some newpaper and work on that as a template, but I like to do things "Cowboy Style", just get in there and get it done. (Cowboy Style - When faced with a hard chore, it's a shift in attitude from "can't" to a positive "can-do" with confidence and a non-complaining spirit that becomes contageous.)  I just picked up the pen and went for it, no template needed after all!

2. If you make a mistake, you're screwed!

Man did I beat myself up about this. This is the one reason that stopped me from doing this sooner. Yes, if I make a mistake, I make one, but zentangling is about incorporating your mistakes, making them part of the overall design.  I decided to throw caution to the wind and just do it!  As it turned out I made very minimal errors, and it's only me who knows where they are and what I did.

3. You will ruin your guitar, it will be worthless.

Once upon a time I believed this, but not anymore. I guess it really comes down to the eye of the beholder, you either feel the art enhances the guitar or you don't.  In the end I decided that the guitar is mine, I love drawing, I love my guitar, why not blend my two loves together.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're contemplating doing something out of the box, just do it. Life is short, and while you go one on one with your reasons not to, time is skipping away.  Who knows, in your mind there might be a masterpiece, and if you don't create it, the world may never get to see it and that would be a tragedy.

Are you up for some piccies?? Overall I used 10 Sharpie Permanent Markers to do the work. I found that the glossy coating on the guitar affected the Sharpie's. I noticed that after a while I would no longer get clean lines with the pen, to overcome this I had to use new markers.


The spot that's clear has been left that way deliberately.  My work is not sealed and through strumming, this area would wear away.  I'm hoping to find someone who can permanently seal my work, and when I do, I will come back and zentangle this area.




I hope you like my work.  As always, if you're new to my blog and you like what you see, why not follow me.  I have lots planned this year, you won't be disappointed.

Until next time
Stay beautiful
Chrissie

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful piece of art! It makes me want to do my guitar! I know I have had ceramics, paintings, frames, furniture (that is varnished) that I have done sharpie tangling on and I have used a fixative. The can is by Krylon and is just marked "Fixative". I use it on all my art pieces. I think this would "set" the marker on the guitar so it does not fade or smear. You may want to try a small area on the back of your guitar. It has worked on everything I have tried it on. Hold the can about 6" from the guitar, or your artwork. Will follow you, and you can follow me at pureheART.blogspot.com
    By the way, just a suggestion, I have a hard time reading the small font you used. I like the white on black but maybe a little larger font?

    ReplyDelete